DEPARTMENT OF PHARMACEUTICAL CHEMISTRY
The Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry is dedicated towards teaching the undergraduates for better learning and understanding of various Chemistry subjects such as General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, Pharmaceutical Chemistry. They are trained in various theory and practical courses related to pure as well as applied chemistry to gain knowledge and develop interest in the field of drug design and development. The department is actively involved in research at the post-graduate (M. Pharm. and Ph. D.) level.
The department is equipped with the necessary infrastructure essential for smooth undergraduate teaching. Also, it has apt facilities to support post graduate research activities. The central instrument room and instrument research centre is well equipped with sophisticated instruments for under graduate and post graduate students like, HPLC system, UV visible spectrophotometers, FTIR spectrophotometer, Rotary Vacuum Evaporator, Microwave synthesiser, Parallel synthesizer, Centrifuge, Deep freezer, Melting point apparatus etc. The department has various Molecular Modelling software’s such as Phase, Glide, Gold.
The Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry has 04 faculty members. The major areas of research in this department include Computer Aided Drug Design, lead discovery and lead optimization from natural, semi-synthetic and synthetic sources, structure-activity relationship studies followed by pharmacological evaluation of synthesized and characterized analogues against various drug targets such as anti-cancer, anti-viral and neurodegenerative disorders. The Faculty has many publications in Journals of good impact factor. Several papers have been presented by the faculty in Conferences, Symposia and Seminars of National and International repute besides being invited as speakers in Conferences, Seminars, Workshops etc
Thrust areas of research are:
- Computer Aided Drug Design (CADD): Molecular docking, Pharmacophore modelling, Homology modelling, QSAR studies etc.
- Design and synthesis of heterocycles e.g. Coumarins, N-heterocycles, chalcones as new chemical entities for various targets.
- Cell line studies to understand the mechanistic mode of action and toxicity profile of the synthesized analogues.
- Development of novel methodologies for API’s and its intermediates
- Invention of new synthetic route using green chemistry
Research Projects: The department has successfully completed many research projects funded by various agencies such as DBT, UGC, ICMR, DST and University of Mumbai
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Homi Bhabha Road, Colaba, Mumbai.
- Haffkine Institute for Training, Research & Testing, Mumbai
- Advanced Centre for Treatment Research and Education in Cancer, Navi Mumbai
- Department of Chemistry, University of Mumbai, Kalina.
- Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences & Technology, Institute of Chemical Technology, Matunga, Mumbai.
- Bombay College of Pharmacy, Kalina, Santacruz, Mumbai.
- Interactive Research School for Health Affairs (IRSHA), Bharati Vidyapeeth (BVP), Sadashiv Peth, Pune.
- Department of Virology, National Institute of Cholera and Enteric Diseases (NICED), Beleghata, Kolkata.
- Translational Health Science and Technology Institute (THISTI), Faridabad.
- Department of Biotechnology School of Life Sciences, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad.
- Department for Life Quality Studies, Rimini Campus, University of Bologna, Italy.
- School of Science, Monash University Malaysia Campus, Selangor, Malaysia.