1. To make the learner understand the concept of nutraceuticals and dietary supplements along with the classification with respect to health benefits, chemical nature and mechanism of action.
2. To expose the learner to the health benefits of various classes of phytochemicals along with their salient chemical features, pharmacokinetics, doses and marketed preparations.
3. To introduce to the learner the formulation challenges of nutraceuticals and health supplements and the importance of the safety and stability of nutraceutical formulations.
4. To make the learner aware of the regulatory aspects of nutraceuticals in India and major countries
Upon completion of the course student will be able to –
1. Explain concept of nutraceuticals and dietary supplements, classify these based on chemical nature, health benefits and mechanism of action.
2. Discuss the chemistry of phytochemicals, their health benefits, pharmacokinetics, interactions with food and recommended doses along with the marketed preparations.
3. Explain the challenges in formulating nutraceuticals.
4. Understand the significance of safety and stability studies of nutraceuticals.
5. Describe the labeling and regulatory aspects for manufacture and sale of nutraceutical products.